Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Lie Detector

The Lie Detector, a short essay published by Lewis Thomas, explains the negative effects that lying bring upon for individuals. He mainly covers the idea that when people lie they end up feeling very guilty afterward and regret the act considering that they are betraying the trust that he or she has with the person they are lying to. The way I feel about this topic is that I cannot seem to agree or disagree with the point he is trying to make. I understand that lying is not the best thing to do, but many times white lies might indeed be of help to perhaps get out of doing something or maybe to protect a loved one. I do not think that everyone can handle the truth. In many cases lying, in my opinion, is acceptable to avoid hurting one's feelings. As much as people may say they disagree with lying, they are always going to lie.

No comments: